Join us for one of the most unique events in Oklahoma City! On May 8, 2010, hundreds of people will huff and puff their way to the top of the First National Center building for a great cause. This is more than your same-old 5K. This event is a vertical race to climb 29 floors. Whether climbing for a winning time or simply to cross the finish line, in honor or in memory of someone with lung disease, this event is a great way to challenge yourself physically. We guarantee that all finishers will have a newfound respect for healthy lungs!
Important: All participants must be registered and have a minimum of $100 in fundraising received by May 8, 2010 to be officially entered into the race.
General Event Information:
- Participants can fundraise and climb as an individual or make it more fun and form a team.
- All participants are professionally timed and ranked by timing chips.
- The registration fee is $25.00. The minimum fundraising goal for all participants is $100.00. Registration fee and minimum fundraising goal are required to participate in the event. The registration fee is non-refundable should you choose not to climb or if you don't meet your fundraising minimum.
- Climbers will receive an official Oklahoma City Fight for Air Climb t-shirt, goody-bag and refreshments.
- Fundraising incentives will be given to top fundraisers. Start early and you will easily reach your fundraising goal! The ALA will be more than happy to help you accomplish your goal - just ask!
- Each participant and team is strongly encouraged to create a personalized fundraising page which is fun and easy to do through the Oklahoma City Stairclimb website.
- Awards will be given to the fastest climbers, top fundraisers and top teams.
- You can register as an individual, as a member of an existing team or as the captain of a new team.
- Teams must consist of at least 3 or more people (for timing purposes.) Please note that the TEAM CAPTAIN has to register on-line first before other team members can register.
Why climb alone? Forming a Stairclimb team is a fun way to share this event with family, friends and co-workers. Your team will support each other as you train, fundraise and complete the event together. When you all reach the top, the celebration will be all the more sweet. You can form a corporate team or a family team for this event. You can easily manage your team's progress from your team's personal webpage.
Team Benefits include:
- Coordinated start times so all team members can climb together.
Opportunity to design special "team" shirts or costumes to wear on event day.
- The unbeatable support from your fellow team members as you climb 29 flights of stairs!!!
- Fundraising coaching and support from Lung Association staff every step of the way.
- We encourage you to train appropriately to avoid injuries during this challenge. Training in a safe, well ventilated stairwell is ideal.
- Utilizing a stair master or other equipment at your gym for a training alternative.
- Pacing yourself during the stair climb is key to successful completion.
- Drink plenty of water starting 2 days before the event and continue hydrating throughout the climb. Water stations will be strategically placed in the stairwells during the event so that you will stay hydrated for your climb to the 29th floor.
- You may bring a heart rate monitor if you wish to use it for this event.
Please arrive at least one hour prior to your start time (start times are e-mailed and posted on the site 1 week prior to the event.)
Upon arrival be sure to visit the "Bib & Timing Chip Table" in the First National Center 2nd floor lobby to check-in the day of the event.
Check-in begins at 7:30 AM. The climb actually begins at 8:30 AM and bib numbers will be assigned with start times in 15-30 second intervals.
Your timing chip will coincide with your start time and bib number, which will be distributed to you the morning of the event at the "Bib & Timing Chip Table" in the lobby (unless otherwise requested by your team for early pickup.)
Your bib number must be displayed at all times during the event.
Individuals are responsible for returning their Timing Chips! Participants will be billed for the replacement value of unreturned chips.
All climbers should be in numerical bib order prior to your start time. Line monitors will assist you. Climbers will proceed in 15-30 second intervals. Start times are not flexible.
Climbing a stairwell multiple times, or going "down the stairs" is strictly prohibited.
While climbing, if you notice that you are faster than other participants, please PASS TO THE LEFT OF THOSE PARTICIPANTS.
- You may run, you may walk, but please don't crawl! If you must exit in case of an emergency or you are unable to complete the climb, please seek security, volunteer or medical staff for assistance to be properly escorted.
DO NOT EXIT ANY FLOOR WITHOUT SECURITY PERSONNEL.
- It is suggested that you wear comfortable clothing, appropriate for an intense cardio workout.
- Proper shoes are essential. Running, walking or cross training shoes are key to a successful climb.
- Don't forget your team pride and spirit! It is required that you securely attach your bib number to the front of your t-shirt. (Exception: firefighters and anyone else in uniform may use string or zip ties.)
The American Lung Association will not be responsible for any items that are lost or stolen.
There will be a key-check table for car keys but other items should be left at home or in your car. However, Firefighters and Police can climb in full gear.
Timing Results and Awards:
- Overall fastest male
- Overall fastest female
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd fastest team
- Overall highest fundraising team
- Overall largest team
(Teams must consist of at least 3 people. For larger teams, team ranking will be based on the finishing time of your top 3 climbers.)
Age Groups Awards: (for both females and males who place 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each age group)
- 19 and younger
- 20 - 29
- 30 - 39
- 40 - 49
- 50 - 59
- 60 - 69
- 70 +
Fire Fighting Fastest Team
1st, 2nd, 3rd Fastest Individuals
Fire Fighting Largest Team
Fire Fighting Highest Fundraising Team
Now, are you ready for the Fight for Air Climb??